We don’t usually go to shows at The Fillmore in Silver Spring. It’s not our favorite venue and well, it’s in Silver Spring. But when the lady’s favorite band of all time was playing their DC show there, not going was not an option. We decided to make an evening of it and had dinner before the show. We looked at our options and decided on Scion.
We went early so we had plenty of time to eat before the show. That put us there at about 4:45. We were going to just sit at the bar until 5, but when we walked in, we were reminded that it was the World Cup final game, and the bar was packed. Luckily, we were able to be seated and just had to wait a few minutes for the dinner menu to go into effect.
We started with a couple of drinks and the edamame hummus.
I had the Clockwork Oranje. I remember the name but don’t remember what was in it. Orange vodka, citrus, a couple other things. It was light. It got watered down kind of quickly, but I enjoyed it. The lady ordered the Washington Bulleit. Bulleit Rye Whiskey, Leopold’s Apple Whiskey, Mint, Strawberry, Lime. It was also VERY tasty. I was jealous.
The hummus was excellent. It was surprisingly flavorful. We only got it because the dinner menu wasn’t ready, but I’m glad we did. It was so good.
For entrees, I decided on the Fig Balsamic Salmon.
The fish was cooked perfectly with crispy edges, the drizzle was perfectly sweet and sour, and that potato medley was great. It was so much tastier than I even expected. The broccoli I could have done without, but the rest was so good.
The risotto was delicious. It was cooked just right and she really liked the squash. She also said the egg was nice. And I also got to eat most of the mushrooms out of it. They were great.
For some reason, I was only expecting the experience to be mediocre. I have no idea why, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. Everything was really simple yet tasty, the service was excellent, and the restaurant was comfortable. We’ll definitely be back. Well, maybe to the one in Dupont instead. It’s closer to home.
- Favorite thing I had: The fish or the hummus!
- Favorite thing she had: The risotto.
- Most interesting thing I want to try next time: The spicy yogurt chicken sounded really great. I’d also like to try more of the cocktails.
- How soon I’d go back (tomorrow/next week/next month/special occasions): We might end up at the one in Dupont again in a few months. I also realized while we were there that they also own Crios Modern Mexican in Dupont. We’re more likely to try that before we repeat.
- Places to go afterward (what’s nearby): We went to a show at The Fillmore, which was about a 5 minute drive away. We also passed the Denizens Brewing Co on our way to dinner. Other than that, I have no idea. Piratz Tavern? (That’s a joke, has anyone seen that episode of Bar Rescue?)