Bourbon made it on the to-try list by recommendation of P. I had been to the Adams Morgan location for his birthday, but had never had more than a couple of beers. Upon creation of the blog, he insisted it go on the list and that we check it out. So, when we finally got around to setting up a double date night with P and his boyfriend, that’s where we headed. The lady and I decided to go over a little early to grab a couple of drinks before dinner. She went with the Manhattan w/ Four Roses and I went with the Scottish Summer (Scotch, basil, strawberry, lemon, simple syrup, and ginger beer)
The Scottish Summer was not quite as delightful as all those flavors sounded together. I think the bartender went a little heavy on the lemon juice and neglected the sweeter elements that would have helped balance it out. The Manhattan was excellent. P and his boyfriend showed up and we ordered another round. This time I went with a Pimms Cup and the lady stuck with her Manhattan. P went with a beer (Great Lakes, like a good Clevelander) and his boyfriend went with an Old Fashioned.
We sat and chatted for a bit and conferred that this was where we wanted to have dinner. So we moved to the corner of the bar, where we would be sitting less in a straight line. We would have loved to sit outside, but there were no seats available and a threat of rain. I think we were there during the changing of a shift, so it took a little while to get attention to order food. At that point, we were super hungry and feeling our drinks, so we ordered some wings.
They hit the spot. Very flavorful and juicy. The way wings should be. For dinner, I decided on the BBQ salmon and everyone else went with sandwiches. (The Turkey Jack, the Chicken Cuban, and the Beer Battered Pork (B.P.T))
I think the sandwiches fell in the “pretty good” category. The potato chips served with the sandwiches were really good though. I keep reaching over and stealing them from the lady. The salmon was excellent. The BBQ was tasty and it was cooked just right. I was pleasantly surprised to get such good salmon from a bar. So, overall, not a bad experience. I’d really like to try the Scottish Summer again to see if it’s actually a better drink if made by another bartender. The Manhattans were good enough, I’m sure the lady will insist we go back.
- Favorite thing I had: The salmon. It was cooked perfectly. And the wings were really good.
- Favorite thing she had: The Manhattan w/ Four Roses Yellow Label and the Old Bay chips that came with her sandwich.
- Most interesting thing I want to try next time: The lamb burger or the steak salad. The brunch menu looks pretty good.
- What makes this place stand out: The whole wall behind the bar is just covered in bottles of bourbon and whiskey. It was really nice to look at. And tasty to drink, as well.
- How soon I’d go back (tomorrow/next week/next month/special occasions): We would probably stop by here for a drink before or after dinner next time we’re in Glover Park.
- Places to go afterward (what’s nearby): We went over to see our friends at Arcuri for a night cap