I love me some tacos. They’re the perfect cheap eat. Combine that with margaritas and outdoor seating on a perfect warm and sunny Friday afternoon and you have an ideal situation.We were looking for a cheap dinner before we dropped the big dollars on fancy bevs at Dram & Grain and El Rey fit the bill. The lady and I met there after I had a particularly long work day, so she found me there at a table in the back, frozen margarita already in hand. The building is made out of shipping containers with a retractable roof. It was a perfect sunny 70’s day, so they had the roof open and the sun was shining in. The margarita was surprisingly strong for a frozen one. It was an excellent way to start the weekend. It was fun to watch how many bottles of tequila they poured into the frozen machine. It’s no wonder it tasted strong… I ordered the fish taco, the skirt steak, and the al pastor on flour tortillas. I had had a big lunch, and wasn’t particularly hungry, but I shoveled them in pretty quickly. They were really good. The lady had a carne asada and the adobo chicken. I was too wrapped up in my own and didn’t even think to try the chicken, but it looked good as well. Two were perfect for her and 3 for me. It was the perfect dinner choice for us and we got out of there for $26 in under an hour. Can’t beat that!
- Favorite thing I had: The carne asada taco, although they were all really good. A little small, but good.
- Most interesting thing I want to try next time: The cocktail menu looked good. So did the chips and guacamole.
- What makes this place stand out: It’s made out of shipping containers! I mean, it didn’t feel like anything really special from the inside, but it was cool. And I want a house with a retractable roof.
- How soon I’d go back (tomorrow/next week/next month/special occasions): Any time I’m on that side of town and need a tasty, cheap meal. I imagine we’ll get there about once per month or so.
- Places to go afterward (what’s nearby): Nellie’s is right across the street. The Brixton is close by. Had we not had reservations that we had to get over to AdMo for, we probably would have gone to Mockingbird Hill or Southern Efficiency.