We knew about Overwood for a long time before we ever made it through the doors. We rediscovered it during our post dinner walk the night we finally tried Momo. Even though we were stuffed full of delightful sushi that night, Overwood’s menu still looked tasty to us. So, the next time we needed to do dinner close to home, they were at the top of the list.
Our first impression was that the space was cozy. I sort of expected the place to smell like wood fire, since they boast their wood-fired grill/oven. But alas, no fire. We were seated quickly. We both decided on beers as none of the cocktails on the menu jumped out at us. Well, that’s not entirely true. The Lillini (Vodka, Cointreau, Grapefruit juice) looked pretty tasty to me. I just had already had a beer at happy hour and at our pre-dinner stop at Virtue Feed and Grain, so I figured it smart to stick with it.
We decided to start with the Fried Green Tomatoes, topped with a tempura-battered shrimp. Some of the tomatoes were slightly too green, but the balsamic reduction sauce on the plate MADE the appetizer. I was eating it off the plate with a fork even after the tomatoes were gone. Also, check out that plating.
For our main course, I was having a hard time deciding between the salmon or something else, and then I noticed the mahi with pineapple salsa, rice, and asparagus on the Daily Specials and had to follow the pineapple. The lady wavered between the meatloaf and the short ribs, but ultimately decided on the short ribs with mashed potatoes and asparagus.
Hers was very tasty. The mashed potatoes were flavorful, the meat was tender, and the fried onions were a nice touch. Mine, was well, it wasn’t the best and it wasn’t the worst. I think I may have erred in ordering fish at a place where you should clearly order a steak. I don’t prepare fish at home often because the lady isn’t a fan, but I like to order it when I go out. It just didn’t have much flavor here. It was cooked well. The grilled asparagus was really good. But the rice and the fish were both a little lacking and the pineapple salsa just didn’t have the zing it needed. I did notice that every single table around us had at least one order of scallops and I just wonder if they got a memo that I didn’t. It wasn’t a total loss though, the lady was willing to share a few bites of hers with me. And I get a sneaking suspicion that this place knows its way around a steak. That’s what I’ll be ordering next time.
- Favorite thing I had: Her mashed potatoes. The balsamic reduction with the fried green tomatoes.
- Favorite thing she had: The mashed potatoes
- Most interesting thing I want to try next time: Something off the cocktail menu. A steak!
- What makes this place stand out: They had a solid beer and wine list.
- How soon I’d go back (tomorrow/next week/next month/special occasions): Probably sometime later this year.
- Places to go afterward (what’s nearby): We hopped over to Pops and braved the tourist families for some interesting ice cream flavors. You could also hit up Virtue Feed and Grain for a post dinner drink. That had been our plan, but due to chronic early-ness we made it there before dinner.