I’m not even going to lie, I’ve started using this blog as an excuse to hit a second spot after dinner. We’ve also decided it’s the only way we’ll ever make it through our list before we die. After dinner at B Too, we set off up 14th St to find 2 Birds 1 Stone. I had seen some buzz about it recently and was intrigued. It was not the easiest place to find, there’s no signage on the outside at all. But we were tipsy and adventurous so we double checked the address and charged into Doi Moi and wandered until we found the stairs that took us down into 2Birds. We felt like we had discovered a secret when we walked into the space. It wasn’t too crowded and we slid into a 2-person booth to the side of the bar. Despite this being a basement bar at night, the lighting made it feel like much lighter than that. Lots of back lighting and white paint with a bunch of nooks and crannies to hide away in.
We sat down and had hand drawn menus (pictured above) placed in front of us. We both gravitated towards very typical-of-us drinks. She had the Bizzy Izzy. Rye, sherry, lemon juice, pineapple. And I had the Mancuso. Cachaca, chartreuse, ginger beer. The ginger beer was quite strong in mine, but still pretty tasty. Hers was probably one of the best drinks I’ve had this year. The pineapple was a perfect balance to the rye and sherry. I’d go back just for that. I’m looking forward to our next visit.
On our way out, we made a pit stop to the restroom. While I was waiting in line, a girl asked if she could dip in quickly before me to take a picture of the wallpaper. It was certainly worthy of a picture, and I did take one, but it’s a bit pornographic to post in a food and bev blog. You’ll have to go see it yourself. Upon our exit, we discovered the main door of the bar on S St. NW. That seems like the easier way to get in, rather than wandering through a very crowded Doi Moi.
- Most interesting thing I want to try next time: Maybe I’d go for the punch of the day next time.
- Most interesting thing she wants to try next time: It sounds like their menu rotates pretty regularly. She’s always on the look out for a new tasty whiskey drink. And has an interest in trying more sherry.
- What makes this place stand out: Where do I begin? The cozy basement space with tons of nooks to the very naughty wallpaper in the bathroom. The hand drawn menus.
- How soon I’d go back (tomorrow/next week/next month/special occasions): The next time we’re looking for a second spot in the area. This is the kind of place I’d like to take an out of town guest (cool and unique). Not crowded and cozy with good drinks is my sweet spot.
- Places to go afterward (what’s nearby): Take your pick. It’s in the middle of 14th St. My first thought was Pearl Dive.