The first time I went here was specifically to get a drink with a friend. We were both a little overwhelmed. Neither of us understood many of the words on the menu. The bartender was willing to explain, but we just weren’t feeling adventurous. I ordered the Brigade gin and sage/apple on tap, made with Green Hat gin. This drink alone was what has brought me back to this bar 2 other times. After the first time I had it, I craved it for weeks. I looked up how to make my own tonic syrup so I could duplicate it (I haven’t tried yet). My second time there was with my lady and we got a couple of cocktails made with sherry. The third time, the lady finally tried a glass of sherry and we got dessert. The Goat Cheese custard with honeycomb crumble was a perfect ending to an afternoon spent drinking cheap beer over at Nellie’s. Maybe the 4th time is a charm and we’ll really dive in?
- Favorite thing I’ve had: The Brigade gin and tonic (on draft!). I have a hard time ordering multiples at the $9 price point, but yum.
- Favorite thing she had: The goat cheese custard dessert.
- Most interesting thing I want to try next time: I should try the ham… or the sherry. I think I’ll do a flight next time.
- What makes this place stand out: Sherry and ham. No other bar in DC (that I know of?) has this.
- How soon I’d go back (tomorrow/next week/next month/special occasions): Next month- 6 months.
- Places to go afterward (what’s nearby): Bistro Bohem, Satellite, Ivy and Coney.